Damn time is flying! I’ve booked my ticket to Melbourne and will be on route in only 3 weeks time.
I’ve been furiously looking for long term accommodation in Melbourne, but am rather hesitant to commit to something >3 months especially if my head hunter cannot find something for ~5-5.5 months (I’ll be heading back to YYC in May/June for a few weeks for a friend’s wedding). My nerves are starting to get to me, and honestly if I didn’t have the L-Theanine kick I think I would be a puddle of mush underneath my covers. Actually I know that for certain -I took an L-Theanine vacation over the weekend and fell into a pit of nothingness. After a good first day of L-Theanine vacation hiking Nihani Ridge Trail near Bragg Creek, my second day consisted of nothing more than waking up and staring dimly at my PC screen while unfulfilling shows and movies flashed across it.
Lately I’ve been trying to get my body onto the Melbourne timezone. I’ve decided to hell with a slow adjustment -let’s jump head first into it. The last 24 hours I’ve been nearly on the OZ timezone having going to bed at 2-3am GMT (8-9pm AEDT) and waking up at 12pm (7am AEDT). The longer sleep periods must be a consequence of my L-Theanine vacation, as I have fore the most part gotten used to a 4 hour schedule with 2-1.5 hour naps to keep my energy up. My goal is to keep this sleep schedule until I leave meaning that there will be minimal downtime when I’m in Australia.
As for my life here in YYC. I’m afraid that I haven’t been able to find quality tenants to rent out the remaining rooms in my house. I’m quite concerned about cash flow, but thanks to a little help from my mom (she gave me my inheritance early!!!) I’ll be able to cover more than a year’s worth of mortgage payments. I’m fairly well covered on my YYC finances, and if I can get a decent paying full time job in MEL (>$25AUD) I’ll be able to cover my day to day and put a bit away in my savings. I’m a bit conflicted about having a going away party: I really feel like if there were to be any celebrations that it should be occurring organically/spontaneously, while on the other hand I’m sure to alienate friends who are expecting a hearty goodbye. To complicate matters further, nearly every weekend is full up with events meaning I would likely be stealing (the proverbial) thunder from friend’s birthdays and other celebrations. Troubling. I’ll have to put some thought into the matter going forward to determine what I should do.
My personal finances are kinda fucked right now. EI just isn’t cutting it -my basic costs just aren’t being covered by this biweekly stipend.
I would actually be just fine, if it weren’t for my bi monthly mortgage payments. By my calculations I’m behind by about $1.5-2k per month in cash flow.
The last 2 weeks have been a panicked blurr of applying for jobs and planning. Here’s what I’ve got so far:
- should have applied for it in October (the month I would have become ineligible)
- I turn 30 in October, that is the maximum age for acceptance into the WHV program
- it doesn’t make sense to apply for it any more than 4 weeks in advance of when you need it
- DON’T use this service
- a waste of money as far as I’m concerned
- they don’t really know their stuff when it comes to the true ins and outs of the WHV -though good if you are only looking for basic info
- I was in a rush and used this service to apply for my visa, just use the Ausralian visa website (https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-)
- You cannot amend your visa expiry date
- got this info second hand from VisaBureau.com -I don’t really trust these guys so I’ll have to fact check this in the near future
- YYC & MEL accounting labour market scan
- few limited term 3-6 month contract positions
- few jobs mostly intermediate to senior experience levels
- O&G jobs are available, but given the increased volitility in the market these positions will be given secondary consideration going forward (first consideration to service & tech industries)
- Robert Half recruiters say that there accounting positions are mostly urgent in the AP/AR ranges, entry and intermediate areas
- tons of project accounting jobs with salaries >$100k AUD -I’ll have to look into these if I decide to stay in MEL long term
- I’ve been applying like mad to these YYC positions in reaction to my finances
- I’m thinking that this might be a flawed approach especially if I wish to leave in 3-6 months
- It does take a lot of company resources to hire and train someone, leaving as soon as I’m 100% productive is disingenious
- It doesn’t really make sense to take a permanent or contract position >6 months
- my WHV expires in May 2017
- Mark & Melissa’s weddings is in May/Jun 2017
- (do i really need to be there for this???)
- it doesn’t make sense to go to Australia just to come back for this wedding after anything less than 2-3 months
- I must still complete some final renovations and get 2 tenants into the spare rooms
- To complete ASAP
hood range vent
various floating shelves -kitchen
fix soft spot in the floor
- clean out both spare rooms
- Bryan needs to put his stuff somewhere else
- find somewhere for Bryan to put all his shoes (so many pairs of shoes!!!)
- fix crawl space door & add lock
- locks on all the doors