I’ve got a critical issue with my proposed build that have stalled my progress:
the 1-1/4″ holes that I’ve drilled through the 2×6’s aren’t straight
I can’t find a bolt big enough to use as a rack
These problems are pretty significant (at least for me). This means that the spotter racks aren’t straight and would lead to unpredictable rolling of a potentially hazardous amounts of weight. It also means that I can’t actually find a viable solution to rack the weight!!!
I’m proposing a number of changes to the core build that will allow even greater strength and uniformity.
sub the doubled 2×6’s for >3×3 perforated square tube
add additional support to the top of the rack
The perforated square tube would rest on the 2×6 bottom then be secured by 2×6’s on either side. I would need 2 sets of really long bolts that would be the same diameter as the perforations. This change would greatly add the strength of this rack, with the major weak spots being the joints where the square tube meets the 2×6’s.
The additional support would entail similar securing as the bottom then would go straight across and be secured to the 2×4 studs in the wall. The whole rack would be immovable and could be considered a semi permanent fixture.
I will need to price out 4-80″ 3×3 perforated square tubes to see if this is a possible fix for my build. I’m a bit busy with cleaning out the extra rooms and moving everything, so the pricing and the actual build will have to wait until next week at the earliest. I will update this post with additional costs as they become available.
[In case you were wondering] what I meant by ‘Breyer’s tastes like garbage’ after having a bowl I immediately threw the whole thing into the garbage. Where it belongs. Taste: not cream that’s for sure. Possibly a mixture of some kind of highly processed milk substitute? Texture: how I’d imagine the stay puft marshmallow man’s cum would be. Satisfaction level: like ramming a fist through my colon (near immediate use of the toilet was necessary).
Today I’ve put together all of the parts that will be supporting the weight of the Olympic bar. The process involves cutting 8 2×6’s to 78″ and doubling them up. I had to drilled pilot holes and countersinks for each screw. The drill bit kept skipping since I couldn’t find the chuck to tighten the bit, and I had to make absolutely certain of my measurements and that everything lined up.
I’ve measured out all the 1-1/8″ holes for the spotter bars, ensuring that everything is nice and centred. Tomorrow I’ll be drilling these out and then framing up everything up in my basement. My only concern will be drilling straight so everything lines up without issue.
Yesterday I found this little gem on kijiji.
Tomorrow I’ll plan up a method to hang it. I’ll need some new chains, a swiveling pivot, and 3 100lb anchor points.